NCAA Tournament 1st Round Recap- Thursday Afternoon Part 1
WOW! Can you remember three games to open the tournament that were so highly contested?
7. BYU over 10. Florida (99-92 2 OT)
- Jimmer Fredette scores 37 points in 2 overtimes to carry BYU over Florida in the 1st game of the tournament.
- It was a game of runs and Florida had their chances. Florida had the last shot in both regulation and overtime, but were unable to convert.
- Florida was down 12 with less than 9 minutes to go, but Kenny Boynton started to light it up. He finished with 26 points.
- Game Rating- 3 1/4*
11. Old Dominion over 6. Notre Dame (51-50)
- The first upset of the tournament as the Old Dominion Monarchs extinguished the red-hot Irish. The Monarchs rallied from a 9 point 1st half deficit.
- Notre Dame had a chance to tie with seconds remaining, but Carleton Scott’s 3 rolled around the rim and out.
- Old Dominion played a smart and savy second half, shooting 52.6% in the 2nd half.
- In his final NCAA Basketball game, Luke Harangody finished with just 4 points.
- Game Rating- 3*
2. Villanova over 15. Robert Morris (73-70 OT)
- The best game so far. Robert Morris led for most of the game, but after some “questionable” officiating, Villanova came storming back and sent the game into overtime. You have to give Villanova G Scottie Reynolds credit for hitting the important foul shots down the stretch.
- Reynolds finished with 20 points, but shot just 2/15 from the field. He was 15/16 from the line.
- It was truly a valiant effort from Robert Morris. G Keron Abraham played his heart out scoring 23 points for the Colonials.
- Game Rating- 3 3/4*