NCAA Tournamnet Recap- Thursday Afternoon Part 2
We had another upset and the first buzzer beater of the tournament.
13. Murray State over 4. Vanderbilt (66-65)
- Danero Thomas hit a jumper at the buzzer to upend Vanderbilt. Jubilation followed as the rest of the Murray State players piled on top of Thomas on the other end of the floor. This is the Racers first NCAA Tournament win in 24 years when former NBA Player Popeye Jones starred.
- Murray State won the battle of the boards, snatching down 39 to Vandy’s 33. 15 of the 39 were offensive rebounds.
- With 12.7 left, Jermaine Beal knocked down 2 clutch free-throws to give the Commodores a 65-64 advantage, but obviously it wasn’t enough.
- Game Rating- 3 1/2*
(Danero Thomas game-winner)
3. Baylor over 14. Sam Houston State (68-59)
- Tied at 55 with approximately 3 minutes left, Baylor outscored Sam Houston State 13-4 in the final minutes to dispatch the Bearkats by 9.
- The Bears simply struggled from the field, shooting just 25% from beyond the arc. Tweety Carter had a season-low 2 points.
- Ekpe Udoh carried Baylor to a win as the backcourt struggled. Udoh scored 20 and pulled down 13 rebounds.
- Game Rating- 2 1/4*
10. Saint Mary’s over 7. Richmond (80-71)
- Saint Mary’s inside-outside balance was too much for the Spiders as the Gaels cruised in the 2nd half to a 9 point win.
- Despite being in foul trouble for most of the game, Gaels F Omar Samhan still finished the contest with 29 points and 12 rebounds. Saint Mary’s Mickie McConnell knocked down 5 3-pointers with his signature rainbow jumper.
- Richmond got the production from Kevin Anderson and David Gonzalvez, but the role-players of Richmond could’nt get anything done.
- Game Rating- 2*
2. Kansas State over 15. North Texas (82-62)
- Kansas State led from start to finish in the only “blowout” of the day thus far.
- Denis Clemente led the Wildcats in scoring with 17.
- Game Rating- 1/2*