NCAA Tournament Recap- Friday Afternoon Part 1
12. Cornell over 5. Temple (78-65)
- It seemed liked Cornell couldn’t miss, especially in the 1st half where the Big Red shot 68% from the field. Temple is one of the best defenses in the country, but it simply didn’t matter. Cornell was that efficient offensively.
- Fran Dunphy is now 1-12 in first round tournament games, including 3 straight tournament losses at Temple.
- It was the final chance for Cornell’s Louis Dale, Ryan Wittman and Jeff Foote after losing in the Big Red’s last 2 tournament appearances.
- I have a serious man crush on Ryan Wittman’s 3 point stroke, it’s so pretty.
- It was the Ivy League’s 1st tournament win since 1998 when Princeton won a tournament game.
- Game Rating- 1 1/4*
6. Xavier over 11. Minnesota (65-54)
- The combatants were tied at 26 at half, but Xavier pulled away in the 2nd half to dispatch the Golden Gophers.
- Xavier’s Jordan Crawford took over in the 2nd stanza, netting 17 of his 28 points.
- Xavier has now won 4 straight 1st round tournament games
- Game Rating 1 3/4*
2. West Virginia over 15. Morgan State (77-50)
- West Virginia continued their trend of getting off to slow starts against Morgan State starting the game 0-11 from the field, and trailing 10-0. The Mountaineers found their stride and wound up whalloping Morgan State.
- WVU’s Kevin Jones had a game-high 17 points; Devin Ebanks had 16 points to go along with some impressive stuffs.
- Game Rating- 1/2*