NCAA Tournament Recap- Friday Afternoon Part 2
4. Purdue over 13. Siena (72-64)
- This was the trendy upset pick, I mean Siena was supposed to win. Purdue has talent even without Hummel, ever heard of E’twaun Moore, Jujuan Johnson? Siena won their last 2 1st round tournament games, but Kenny Hasbrouk isn’t coming through the tunnell anymore. I was flabbergasted that everyone just gave up on Purdue. Even without Hummell, this team can make a run.
- Jujuan Johnson dominated inside, scoring 23 points and snatching 15 rebounds.
- Siena made a valient comeback late, but Purdue held on.
- Game Rating- 2 1/2*
10. Missouri over 7. Clemson (86-78)
- Poor Oliver Purnell, he still can’t get that elusive NCAA Tournament win. He’s now 0-6.
- Missouri’s “Fastest 40 Minutes in Basketball” forced 20 Clemson turnovers, 15 of them steals. Missouri had only 9 turnovers.
- Game Rating- 2*
4. Wisconsin over 13. Wofford (53-49)
- Wofford was pesky in their 1st NCAA Tournament Appearence. Wofford was pummeled early on, but in the 2nd half, they scratched and clawed their way back into it. The game went back and forth the last 10 minutes, but Wisconsin’s Jon Leuer hit a key shot late to give the Badgers the bucket they needed to advance. Leuer’s two free-throws with 4.2 left sealed the win.
- Leuer had 20, and Trevon Hughes chipped in 19.
- Game Rating- 3*
3. Pittsburgh over 14. Oakland (89-66)
- Pitt’s defense just overmatched Oakland’s offense. The Grizzlies shot just 33% from the field and 4/21 from beyond the arc.
- Oakland’s Derick Nelson took a nasty flailing elbow to the face in the first half which halted the game for several minutes. Nelson lost a lot of blood, but did come back into the game in the 2nd half. The elbow was incidental.
- Game Rating- 1/2*