NCAA Tournament Recap- Friday Evening Part 1
5. Michigan State over 12. New Mexico State (70-67)
- The Spartans led 42-29 at half, but New Mexico State started the 2nd half with an 11-2 run to get right back into the game. The rest of the half went back and forth like a see-saw.
- With 18.6 left, Raymar Morgan was about to take his 2nd free-throw. He missed, but a “questionable” lane violation was called. Morgan drained his 2nd attempt to make it a 3-point game. New Mexico State couldn’t hit a 3 to tie it up, therefore, coming up just short.
- Kailin Lucas led all scorers with 25 points.
- Game Rating 3 1/4*
10. Georgia Tech over 7. Oklahoma State (64-59)
- It was intense, competitive and close. In the ACC Tournament, the Yellow Jackets implemented a bold strategy, get the ball into the post and in the hands of Gani Lawal and Derrick Favors. Georgia Tech has tried the strategy all season, but a lot of the time they got impatient and didn’t execute properly.
- The Yellow Jackets defense swarmed the Big 12 Player of the Year James Anderson all night. He had just 11 points on 3/12 shooting.
- Game Rating- 3*
8. Gonzaga over 9. Florida State (67-60)
- Gonzaga played great in the first half, not so great in the 2nd half. The Zags were up 16 at intermission, and seemed to lose focus in the 2nd half. Florida State on the other hand was the complete opposite. The were horrid in the 1st half, and tried to make a surge, but it was simply too late.
- The Seminoles Deividas Dulkys had 11 points in the final 5 minutes, but it wasn’t enough.
- Game Rating- 1 3/4*
1. Duke over 16. Arkansas Pine-Bluff (73-44)
- Well at least Arkansas Pine-Bluff chalked up its 1st ever NCAA Tournament win against Winthrop in the “play-in” game.
- Game Rating- 1/4*